The life of a wife,mother and Pastor's wife in the PC(USA) church.

Monday, November 9, 2009

Living for Eternity but not for Today

Things I have been pondering about lately...My Grandmas were both from HUGE families one from a family of 10 and one from a family of 16. Yet they both only had 2 children themselves. The Grandma I was closest to miscarried twins, she would often talk about getting to met them in heaven. She said that that experience had scared her and she was afraid to have anymore....in her 80's she often wished she had tried again. I think of my huge extended family and often wonder if birth control had been available and socially acceptable, would my Great Grannies have stopped at 2? I wouldn't be here, my Grandmas would have never been born etc. you get the idea.
Both my Great Grand parents were taken care of (into their 90's) by their children in their own homes, when you have 16 children the burden suddenly becomes a light load when there are so many to carry it. When you are a worn out young mother of many small children and you can call a sister or Grandma to help it makes a world of difference, most of the world today isn't set up in the "WALTONS" type of family dynamic. People are more isolated and have ALL of the responsibility on themselves, is this an improvement, were we meant to live within a large family structure? Are we better off then we were in the past?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's a lot to think about, for sure. The way we travel, and relocate, so freely, probably has hurt the family, in the long run. Our standard of living is different now too... we like to own and do... some of that isn't possible with those big families. Seth and I went to local fair a couple weeks ago and got on a bus at the parking area... it was hassle with the stroller, coats, bags, etc. I looked at him and said "And this is with just two kids... what if we have 6?" He said, "We won't be going to the fair!" But I guess there is plenty to be occupied with at home with a large family.

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

good thoughts. my mom was one of nine, i am one of six and i only had two and i wished i had so many more!

Smither said...

Theres also a bunch of laws that makes it tougher. I can understand having car seats for an infant but for a 4 year old! If you have more then 2 kids you have to have a mini van because of the car seats! I guess if the economy was such that mothers could stay at home with the kids that would also help. Whens number three coming Mrs Revdr?