The life of a wife,mother and Pastor's wife in the PC(USA) church.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Food Budget


I have a confession, I LOVE potatoes! When we lived in PA we had potato fields everywhere and I was able to buy a 50# bag for $6 direct at the farm. I had endless recipes... German Potato Salad being the RevDr's favorite and potato pancakes being mine. I think we ate them everyday. It helped my budget, was a "real" food and so versatile. Then we moved to Florida...a 5lb. bag is 3.50 at the cheapest, they don't grow well around here and they are an expensive food to transport. Suddenly the meal plans I had used we're no longer cost efficient. Here people eat a whole lot more sweet potatoes, in PA you never see them unless it's at the holidays, here they are served in most restaurants and are much cheaper, people here also eat lots of rice and okra. Fish here is also fresh and often less expensive then ground beef. I'm in the process of having to relearn how to eat locally.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We pay about $3 for a 5 lb. bag. =( I love potatoes too, as does Seth. But I do use rice a lot. I think we grow a lot locally here but don't seem to see much by way of savings.... if anything the farmers markets here are more expensive. Boo. Maybe you need to convert to hispanic (cuban?) food down there?

Mrs. Reverend Doctor said...

Where we are isn't a lot of latin food, more like deep south food.