The life of a wife,mother and Pastor's wife in the PC(USA) church.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Thoughts on Retirement


Pretty soon I'll be 32, retirement seems years away but I know will be here sooner rather then later. One of the many lessons I learned with our time serving at a very much older congregation is how different people live out their last years. The decisions I make now I will one day have to live with the consequences. Do I want more children? When I'm, 40, 50 or 80 will I have wished I had more? What kind of home do I want to live in when we retire (my husband is 11 years older). Do I have a plan for in home care? Should I be saving for college or our own retirement? If I am a widow for 20 or more years what does that financially mean to me?
One thing I do think about is my retirement home I want to live in MY OWN HOME, if you think elder care is in a mess now just wait till "baby boomers" are in need of care. I recently read that the two fastest growing industries are at home elder care and tattoo removal...interesting...at least I don't need any tattoos removed.

A home on one floor, or at least with a bed and bath on the first floor, with doorways wide enough to get a wheel chair through and a shower stall able to have a sit down bench, 2 bedrooms one for me and one for a caregiver.A small amount of exterior maintenance and inexpensive.

No comments: