The life of a wife,mother and Pastor's wife in the PC(USA) church.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Gardening Plans

I'm still getting used to living here where there are several growing seasons, coming from a place where we were lucky to get one. This summer we had a drought, my Pecan Trees,Lemon Tree and grapes dropped their tiny fruit way too early. The Blueberries, Fig and Pear did better, in fact I am still getting figs every few days...I am kinda figed out. This winter I have a LOT of pruning work to be done, I would venture that most of these haven't been pruned in about 10 years. The bonus is that I have very mature trees in place. I have also been working on raised beds and building up the soil quality in a section where I plan to have traditional rows. So these are my plans for next year,right now all I have in the ground are sweet potatoes. Raised Beds with Herbs: Stevie, Parsley, Rosemary,Basil (for pesto) Raised Bed: Mescalin Lettuce and Romaine, this can be kept going in all but very hot months, with a cold frame can be kept through the winter Tomato, peppers, mainly paste tomatoes I am going to add Mignonette strawberries as a border to garden beds, these are very small, heirloom berries that are grown from seed. It was hard to find a type that won't bake here and these are self sowing without sending out runners, I will have to plant these early as they don't like extreme heat. Row Crops Heirloom Popcorn Green Beans Egg Plant Climbing stuff: Cantaloupe Watermelon Cucumbers Summer squash and Zucchini In a small plot Shallots, vidalla,garlic Fall Garden Beets, Kale,Rainbow Carrots, My fun item is a small plot of peanuts, which I'm told grow wonderfully around

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Ooooh! Sounds like fun! I wish we had the space to garden!