The life of a wife,mother and Pastor's wife in the PC(USA) church.

Monday, March 30, 2009

How Much is the Load of Laundry Really Costing You???

Can you tell I got a HUGE electric bill today, twice what it normally is, I mean it's not this high even when I'm running my central air 24/7. So I have been doing some research. As a point of reference most everyone can relate to a light bulb as they come in 60 watts, 40 watts or 100 for you really adventurism gals.

Clothes Dryer, for a 45 min. load .34 for gas .36 for electric
For anything higher then a dollar I might be willing to hang it out but not enough to make me haul wet clothes into the back yard, however my dryer is in the basement, if it we're in an area where I use air conditioning it would cost me more since it heats the air around it.

Now for the washing
this is the non - front loading

Total cost per load (electricity + water + water heating)
Wash / Rinse setting
Electric water heater/ Gas water heater
Hot / Warm
69¢ 52¢
Hot / Cold
50¢ 39¢
Warm / Warm
50¢ 39¢
Warm / Cold
32¢ 27¢
Cold / Cold
14¢ 14¢
So for me with an electric dryer and a gas water heater considering soap at .12 per load and a dryer sheet at .02 a load ranges me from .64- 1.00 and I do approximately 10 loads a week. I'm sure going to be using more colder rinses.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

These days about the only things I wash in hot water are white underwear and towels!
A few years back, I purchased a standing wood drying rack and would dry quite a few articles on it as well as shirts that I placed on plastic hangers and then put the hangers on the rack.
Laundry...wow, it's an adventure.
Hang in there and have happy thoughts.
With our appliances, it has to be better than doing wash down by the river side. ;)