The life of a wife,mother and Pastor's wife in the PC(USA) church.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

More of my Favorite Things




I thought I'd share a few favorite recipes and beauty products.


First the running joke in my family is my bar of Clinique Facial Soap, It's a large bar and I've used it twice a day for about 5 years now....and I'm still on my first bar! The funny part is that there is still about 2/3 of a bar left so it will probably last me another 10 years! The case is all cracked but the bar lives on...


When visiting some fancy shmancy hotel in Newport,RI last year they featured this lotion in their guest rooms, I just loved it, it too is a tad pricey to order but it has a good consistency and I like the scent, I dislike Bath and Body works type products as they make me sneeze. This doesn't but is scented and the scent lasts. Gilchrist & Soames Body Lotion
My favorite things to take to a summer picnic style "potluck", done take, potato salad, baked beans or deviled eggs because chances are that's what everyone else is bringing. Two of my favorites are :
"Buffalo Wing Dip"
Served in a small tureen dish or small crock pot is best with tortilla chips

8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup blue cheese or ranch salad dressing
1/2 cup any flavor FRANK'S REDHOT Sauce
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese or shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cans (9.75 oz. each) SWANSON White Premium Chunk Chicken Breast in Water, drained

DIRECTIONS:
Tips1.Microwave Directions: Prepare as above. Place in microwave-safe dish. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH 5 min. until hot, stirring halfway through cooking. 2.Tips: You may substitute 2 cups shredded cooked chicken. 3.Slow Cooker Method: Combine ingredients as directed above. Place mixture into small slow cooker. Cover pot. Heat on HIGH setting for 1 1/2 hours until hot and bubbly or on LOW setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Stir. 4.Tailgating Tip: Prepare dip ahead and place in heavy disposable foil pan. Place pan on grill and heat dip until hot and bubbly.
I also like adding some actual crumbled blue cheese to the mix. Men seem to really like this.
Cast Iron Upside Down Cake
You really need a cast iron skillet to make this as it goes from stove to oven, if you have an ovenproof skillet you could try but the non stick abilities of a cast iron are best.
First 1/3 cup real butter and melt in skillet, next take 1/2 c. brown sugar and whisk it into the butter and let bubble, next arrange sliced peaches, pineapple rings pears etc. on bottom, you could toss in a few maraschino cherries if you wanted, mix up a yellow Jiffy cake mix according to directions and pour over the peach mixture, put cake into preheated oven according to Jiffy cake mix directions, when done DONOT wait for it to coll but invert over a cake stand, (hence the peach and caramel bottom is now the top and serve with whipped cream (if at home serve with vanilla ice cream).
* I also really like the taste with bananas but often the will over brown.

No comments: