The life of a wife,mother and Pastor's wife in the PC(USA) church.

Monday, June 22, 2009

Where your Money there will your heart be also.

The other day I was talking with a good friend about the upcoming birth of her second baby, she was bemoaning the fact that she didn't know how she could afford to stay home for the first few months as money was SO tight! This was all AFTER she had showed me her new cell phone and talked about how excited she was about the upcoming concert that was $75 a ticket that she was taking her hubby to for his birthday. Now this is a very good friend who then commented that she wished she could stay home like myself, so I told her plainly that I didn't have a fancy cell phone, I only had the lest expensive prepaid one and it was for EMERGENCIES, I didn't have cable, we live on a budget and that's how I afford to stay home. I could have all those things but then I would have to pay for them.

She said she just couldn't "live like that" WHAT! no cable and no cell phone result in a poor life??? Not only were we not raised with cell phones but she was raised in a denomination that didn't even believe in TV!

Would you be willing to give up "luxuries" in order to led the life you wanted?

4 comments:

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

yes ma'am and amen and amen!

Katie said...

I truly think that there is a big problem with entertainment addiction these days and hardly anyone wants to talk about it because they're addicted too. Actally, I don't really want to talk about it because I see it in me too! And it'll only be worse for our children since we all use media to "babysit" our children. :/ I'm guilty of it all.

Anonymous said...

wow! i have a friend just like that and it really is sad to hear her cry about missing her son's first steps but then go out to look at her new car- a new one each year yes maam!

Marlene said...

I watch 2 boys every morning for 2 hours before the bus comes. I have been paid $5/hour for the last 2 years. (about $200/month) At the end of the school year they ask me if we could go to $100 a month because things were tight for them. They are driving a new truck, the boys come with new toys all the time that the parents buy them every time they go to the store and the yard service was just there. I'm still too stunned to answer.